Monday, September 3, 2012

#7 Sleep (The Branching Tree Theory)

Imagine a tree with its big strong trunk growing upwards until it begins to branch out into hundreds of  different branches. Whenever I think of waking up, I think of having a strong focus and high energy levels until my thoughts begin to branch out into hundreds of different thoughts about hundreds of different problems. Kind of like a tree.

What I realized is that there is nothing like the first few hours when I wake up and my attention is focused on just one (or two) things and no distractions have entered my day. This is the time I learned to guard. In college, during the exams, I remember taking a quick power nap every four to five hours before picking up a textbook, studying until my mind is completely overwhelmed with information and then taking another power nap, only to wake up and have another 2-3 hours of studying again. Sleep gives us the energy of mind in its purest form. Often, staying awake and pushing yourself to the levels of exhaustion for hours, actually, allows you to complete only a fraction of the work that could have been done if I was to choose just a little bit of sleep instead...

No comments:

Post a Comment