Sunday, August 19, 2012

#2 Zaryadka (see post)

"Zaryadka" is a Russian word for "Charge." Russian prefix "Za" means "Prior to," so the etymology is probably derived from the necessity of being charged prior to doing something, but before I get into its second meaning and how can it charge the day, I would like to share with you something I thought of this morning. I have thought of how, for some reason, as my life goes by I tend to set lower and lower expectations for myself. When I was 10, as a little boy in Russia, my life was a blank slate and I thought I could do absolutely anything, like, be a virtuoso musician and an awesome author and.. you get the point... Yet now, it seems, and I want to emphasize the word "seems" as if my late is much less of a blank slate and certain things are so unachievable.

And so then, it occured to me how false this built-in mentality actually is because, in reality, the more I live, the more knowledgeable and capable I become to acheive anything I want in life. In fact, EVERY DAY I get  more and more knowledgeable and capable of achieving more and more things. The key is start working on those things NOW!

And so, now back to "Zaryadka" which is a Russian word for "Charge" has a second meaning which is a brief exercise before starting your day. Back in early Soviet Russia at precisely 6:00 am, our main radio station, prior to even announcing any major news and events would play the sound of the Kremlin Clock Tower and have 15 minutes of guided exercise for everyone in the country, including sit ups, waving hands and so on to charge the nation for the day.

Well, although I am not doign sit ups anymore, I found that 60 minutes of running is one of the best, paradoxical ways to charge up your day. Paradoxical, because, in the morning I am so incredibly tired to even think about running and yet, as soon as I do, I get this most rediculous burst of energy.

When I run, I think of being charged. If I run for only 20 minutes, I imagine that my day is only charged about 1/3. At 30 minutes, only 1/2. And, of course at 60 minutes, I feel fully "charged." This charge and a big mug of columbian coffee can get me going without any food for an extremely long time.


Hours after Zaryadka
(60 minutes of running):      Stars:
1                                              5
3                                              5
5                                              5

No comments:

Post a Comment