Thursday, August 30, 2012

#5 "Top Of The Slope" Clarity

In Russian we have this old saying "if you love riding down the slope on a slate, than you have to love getting the slate up the slope." This is a very approximate translation, of course and can be used in all kinds of situations. In this particular case, I am applying it to the concept of "Big Picture," or TOP-OF-THE-SLOPE Clarity.

For me it started with the question.

At first I couldn't understand why is it that I, sometimes, can be going for days, extatic about working towards a specific life goal until, gradually, my desire to work towards that goal would diminish to nothing. I could not understand how it was possible for me to suddenly slip from the feeling of excitement towards my goal into a feeling of complete apathy towards anything. Observing the same pattern occur over and over again, I have developed a clear understanding what was taking place.

Realization 1. Every grandioze and exciting goal that I have, actually, consist of a large number of tedious tasks that NO person would ever want to do unless they have a clear "Big Picture" and a very clear end result in mind. Typically, NONE of the tedious subtasks of grandioze goals are exciting enough, outside of my understanding and my view of the "BIG PICTURE". Basically, as an example, roofing work is not very motivational on its own, however, if roofing will allow you to protect your family from rain, you will have more than enough motivation to get it done.

Realization 2. Most of my, so called, "grandioze" projects (such as the book I am writing, or a social network I am creating, or a healthcare unification platform I am building), require such huge number of maindaine, tedious subtasks that it is way too easy for me to completely lose the sight of the "BIG PICTURE."

Realization 3. I've realized that although both, my so-called "end result" and my "Big Picture" of my goal are extraordinarily exciting, it, actually, quite litereally, TAKES TIME to get back to the birdview level where I can see how grandioze and exciting all of my projects are. It TAKES VERY REAL TIME to get up and onto the "top of the slope" to re-establish where I am at in the big scheme of things before I can take another, exhilirating ride of action-filled days.

Realization 4. If I don't take enough time OFF to get to the "top of the slope" where I can see my goals clearly, I simply am not capable to have an exciting, action-filled day. Going back up to the "top of the slope" and taking time to see the BIG PICTURE is ESSENTIAL to productive, energy-filled day which becomes more like a fun ride of meaninful activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment